Software Defined Radio VHF/UHF transceivers – excellent performance at low weight
Rohde & Schwarz’ R&S MR6000R/L software defined, multiband-capable airborne transceiver, seen this week at Paris Air Show in the German Pavilion, hall 2A, booth #B286, is preferred under limited weight and space constraints in the R&S M3AR product family.
Despite weighing less than 4kg, the R&S MR6000R and R&S MR6000L series offer outstanding reception and transmission performance. Its excellent characteristics make it suitable for applications in military and civil environments including all types of airborne platforms such as helicopters, transport aircraft, jets and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV).
R&S MR6000R/L covers frequency ranges from 30 megahertz (MHz) to 400MHz and supports NATO’s frequency hopping methods TRANSEC, HAVE QUICK. Integrated encryption (SECOS) is available as an option to protect voice and data transmissions against eavesdropping.
The proprietary Rohde & Schwarz waveform R&S SECOS combines TRANSEC and COMSEC functionality in a single waveform and can be installed in parallel with SATURN or HAVE QUICK.
These two transceivers, which come in ARC-164 housings, differ in that the R&S MR6000R is designed for installation in the avionic bay and can only be remotely controlled, while the R&S MR6000L is installed in the cockpit and can also be controlled by a local control panel. Both radios ensure a high transmit power of at least 10 Watts (AM) and 15W (FM) at a low weight of maximum four kilogrammes.
Both can serve as a form, fit and function (F3) replacement for legacy AN/ARC-164 radios. The R&S MR6000L front panel comes with a choice of white, red or green A NVG-compatible illumination.
R&S MR6000R/L is operational on P-3 ORION, Super TUCANO, GRIPEN, F-16 Fighting FALCON, H135, Super PUMA, Sea KING, Mil-Mi-24, Mil-Mi-17 and MD-530F.
The software defined, multiband-capable airborne transceivers of the R&S M3AR family feature a modular design and state-of-the-art technology. This leads to high MTBF values and a long life. The compact and lightweight transceivers offer high performance, making them suitable for operation in all types of aircraft, including UAVs. The R&S MR6000R/L series feature:
- Choice of frequency hopping methods: HAVE QUICK I/II, SATURN or HAVE QUICK I/II and R&S SECOS in a single device
- Embedded R&S SECOS encryption
- Additional guard receiver for the 40.5MHz, 121.5MHz and 243.0MHz distress frequencies
- Tactical VHF frequency range for communications with ground troops (i.e. expanded frequency range from 30-399.975MHz)
- Direction finding and homing support for locating transmitters in the VHF and UHF ranges
- Option of loading encrypted R&S®SECOS encryption keys (black key loading)
- Immunity to VHF broadcast transmitter interference
- High transmit power of at least 10W (AM) and at least 15W (FM)
- Remote control via MIL-STD-1553B data bus, RS-485 interface and applicable Rohde & Schwarz protocol (used by the R&S GB6500 for example) or a combination of both