Builds on Proven A330 MRTT Design
Lockheed Martin unveiled the LMXT as America’s next strategic tanker – built in America by Americans for Americans – in response to the US Air Force’s KC-Y programme on 17 September.
LMXT is the latest episode in the company’s 60+ year history of developing, manufacturing and delivering tanker and cargo aircraft for the US services and multiple international operators. It will complement USAF tanker capabilities, by providing the most advanced aerial refueler to meet America’s immediate and long-term mission requirements. LMXT strengthens and expands the US aerospace industrial base by working with existing and new American suppliers, and will also cultivate and sustain high-tech, high-skill American manufacturing jobs.
“Lockheed Martin has a long and successful track record of producing aircraft for the US Air Force, and we understand the critical role tankers play in ensuring America’s total mission success,” commented Greg Ulmer, EVP at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics. “The LMXT combines proven performance and operator-specific capabilities to meet the Air Force’s refueling requirements in support of America’s National Defense Strategy.”
The LMXT offers a proven airframe, with distinct USAF-only capabilities, designed to meet operator requirements, with advantages that include:
- Significantly improved range and fuel offload capacity;
- A proven fly-by-wire boom, currently certified and used by allies to refuel USAF receiver aircraft in operations around the world;
- The world’s first fully automatic boom/air-to-air refuelling (A3R) system;
- Operational, combat-proven advanced camera and vision system;
- Open system architecture JADC2 systems;
- A multi-domain operations node, connecting LMXT to the larger battlespace, increasing onboard situational awareness to provide resilient communications and datalink for assets across the force.
The strategic tanker builds on the combat-proven design of the Airbus A330 Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT). As prime contractor, Lockheed Martin works directly to implement USAF-specific requirements within the LMXT. As the strategic tanker of choice for 13 nations, the MRTT has logged over 250,000 flight hours refuelling US and allied military aircraft in combat theatre environments.