Rafael Australia & VRA Systems to showcase advanced defence systems
Rafael Australia and Varley Rafael Australia (VRA) Systems , a newly created joint venture between Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and the Varley Group, exhibits at Land Forces 2018, held in Adelaide this week at stand 2J-12L, showcasing a range of Rafael Australia products, and will highlight VRA System’s role in delivering these programmes in Australia.
Rafael Australia and VRA Systems offer the Australian Defence Force (ADF) ground-breaking, combat-proven solutions for a range of LAND projects, the companies state. These solutions will enhance the ADF’s survivability, situational awareness and lethality with precision and effectiveness.
Rafael Australia’s Land Forces 2018 exhibit features the following systems, currently under consideration for existing LAND projects:
The SPIKE family of multi-purpose precision missile systems, to be offered across a range of land environment projects, including the ADF’s Combat Reconnaissance Vehichle (CRV) under LAND 400 Phase (Ph) 2, the Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV) under LAND 400 Ph 3, Direct Fire Support Weapon (DFSW) replacement under LAND 4108, Special Operations (SO) capability enhancement under LAND 1508, and Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter (ARH) capability assurance program or replacement under LAND 9000 Ph 3. The SPIKE family consists of the following variants:
- SPIKE LR2, the newest 5th generation variant of the SPIKE family; a ‘long-range’ multi-purpose, tactical guided missile system effective against a variety of targets ranging to 5.5 kilometres. On 22 August, the Australian Government announced the SPIKE LR2 had been chosen as the Anti-Tank Guided Weapons (ATGW) for the BOXER CRV (story here).
- SPIKE SR, a ‘short-range’, light-weight, multi-purpose infantry weapon allowing the defeat of Main Battle Tanks (MBT), other armoured vehicles, and bunkers, at ranges up to 1.5 kilometres. The weapon will be offered under LAND 4108 and LAND 1508.
- SPIKE ER, an ‘extended range’ multi-purpose, multi-platform, missile system for ranges up to 8km, providing a ‘fire & forget’ / ‘fire, observe & update’ capability. SPIKE ER will be offered under LAND 4108 and LAND 1508.
- SPIKE NLOS, a ‘no line of sight’ multi-purpose, multi-platform electro-optical missile system with real-time wireless data link for long-range hidden targets, ranging to 25 kilometres. It will be offered under LAND 4108, LAND 1508 and LAND 9000 Ph 3.
- SPIKE FIREFLY, a miniature, electro-optical loitering munition, which provides precision stand-off capability in close urban terrain; to be be offered under LAND 4108 and LAND 1508.
TROPHY, an operational, combat-proven Active Protection System (APS) for heavy, medium and light armoured vehicles, currently in use on the Israeli Defence Force’s (IDF) MERKAVA MBT and NAMER IFV (more here). It is also under contract for installation on the US ABRAMS MBT (story here), and has been successfully tested on a number of lighter US platforms, including the STRYKER and BRADLEY IFVs. TROPHY will be offered under LAND 400 Ph 2 & Ph 3, as well as the ADF’s ABRAMS MBT upgrade under LAND 907 Ph 2.
The TAMIR Counter Rocket Artillery and Mortar (CRAM) interceptor, part of Rafael’s IRON DOME short-range, ground-based air defence system (SRGBAD). TAMIR is a National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile (NASAM)-compatible interceptor missile designed for quick detection, discrimination and interception of asymmetric and conventional indirect fire up to 70 kilometres. TAMIR is currently under consideration for the ADF’s SRGBAD capability under LAND 19 Ph 7B.
The SAMSON family of advanced Remote Weapon Stations (RWS) which offer a low silhouette, under-armour reloadable unmanned turret, comprising twin SPIKE LR2 launchers, a 30mm automatic cannon, a co-axial 7.62mm machine gun, and fully-integrated TROPHY APS. SAMSON will be offered under LAND 400 Ph 3.
Rafael Australia’s Land Forces 2018 exhibit also introduces the following systems, for consideration under future LAND projects:
Rafael’s IRON DOME short-range, ground-based air defence system (SRGBAD) incorporates RADA’s radar.
The ARMOR SHIELD family of passive and reactive armour for combat vehicles. These systems are based on the lightweight protection technologies that have been fielded for over thirty years by the Israeli, US and NATO military forces. A number of these products are currently produced by Australian manufacturer Bisalloy Steels. The ARMOR SHIELD family will be offered under LAND 400 Ph 3 and LAND 907 Ph 2.
All Rafael Australia products offered for use in Australia will be delivered by VRA Systems. Rafael Australia is committed to growing its Australian operations and working with partners in industry and government to enhance Australia’s sovereign industrial capabilities. To support this, Rafael Australia has formed an Australian joint venture with the Varley Group, forming VRA Systems as the future hub of its Australian operations.