Common Components, Varied Applications
Within its extensive and growing product portfolio, EVPU Defence, headquartered in Uherské Hradiště in the Czech Republic, numbers the CRANE series of commander‘s and gunner‘s sights, featuring cooled or uncooled thermal cameras. The multi-sensor electro-optical (EO) systems have been developed primarily for integration with remote controlled surveillance systems and remote-controlled weapon stations (RCWS) – the latter on combat and security vehicles – thanks to their modular architecture.
Three versions of the gunner‘s sight with uncooled camera are offered, intended for integration with RCWS incorporating machine guns of 7.62 or 12.7mm calibre:
• The CRANE SR1G features daylight optics provided by an aiming camera with a horizontal angle of 3.7° and a colour surveillance camera with 30x continuous zoom and a horizontal angle of 2.3-63.7°, while the 1024×768 thermal camera can switch between a wide field of view (FoV) of 18.1° for area surveillance and a narrow FoV of 6.1° for detail views. Distance measurements up to 32km are provided by a laser rangefinder. The system is entirely digital, the GigE interface providing sensor communications with minimal interference and high quality image data. The CRANE SR1G will be integrated into the RCWS of a new chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) reconnaissance vehicle for the Army of the Czech Republic;
• The CRANE XSR incorporates a daylight surveillance camera featuring both monochrome and colour modes, with a 36x zoom capability. The 640×480 pixel uncooled thermal camera has two switchable FoV – 4.6° narrow and 14.3° wide;
• In the CRANE SR, two black and white aiming cameras with fixed focal lengths are partnered with the same thermal camera and laser rangefinder as for the CRANE XSR.
Variants incorporating cooled thermal cameras are available for detecting targets at longer ranges and for a use for larger calibre RCWS. Two options are offered:
• The CRANE XLR features a cooled thermal camera module with a 640×512 pixel resolution and two switchable FoV of 2° and 10° horizontal angle for dark, dusty and difficult operations. For daylight operations a colour surveillance camera module with a 36x zoom used. The sight is also equipped with a 20km-range laser rangefinder;
• The CRANE LR sight features two monochrome aiming cameras with fixed focal lengths and horizontal FoV of 2.8° and 10.5°.
The bodies of all versions of the gunner’s sights are ruggedised against shock, vibration and all unfavourable weather conditions.
EVPU Defence does not simply assemble third-party components into systems: the company is a specialised manufacturer of the dedicated sensors, which are calibrated and tested in its purpose-built laboratory.