Showcasing SDR Systems and Accessories
At Eurosatory 2018 in Paris this week Finnish comms specialist Bittium is launching its TOUGH VoIP SOFTPHONE software product, a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) client that allows VoIP calls, instant messaging, conference calls and screen sharing in the tactical Bittium TOUGH VoIP Service network, either with a PC or a smartphone. Especially useful for tactical use is the Push-To-Talk (PTT) feature, as well as the remote control capability and the ability for instant messaging with existing third party Combat Net Radios (CNR) through the TOUGH VoIP Service network, TOUGH COMNODE terminal or Bittium TAC WIN system router.
Other Bittium solutions being showcased at Villepinte this week include:
- The Bittium Tactical Wireless IP Network (TAC WIN), a Software Defined Radio (SDR)-based wireless broadband network system intended for military and public safety use. Using the system, mobile ad hoc network (MANET), link and connection networks can be formed into one logical IP network quickly, regardless of location. It is compatible with existing fixed and wireless network infrastructures. The core of the system is a tactical router that enables users to freely form both wired and wireless broadband data transfer IP connections. The tactical router also enables connections to different types of terminals and other communication systems, connecting them into a single communication network. In addition to the router, the system comprises three types of radio heads, and each covering its own frequency band area and used for flexible formation of optimised network topologies for a variety of communication needs. All system components are designed for harsh conditions, and automated functionality means the implementation of the system can be done quickly. The software-based functionality means that TAC WIN can be easily updated with additional performance cost-efficiently during the entire system lifespan.
- The Bittium TOUGH SDR product family consists of the TOUGH SDR Handheld tactical handheld radio for individual soldiers, and the TOUGH SDR Vehicular tactical radio for vehicle installations. The radios can be used to produce and share real time situational awareness (location, image, voice, video, and sensor data) to all levels of the organisation. This improves the performance and effectiveness of tactical troops, and makes effective command easier. TOUGH SDR products can use the most appropriate waveform according to environmental conditions and mission requirements, including the Bittium TAC WIN, ESSOR HDRWF waveform and Bittium Narrowband waveforms. The wide range of frequency bands improves combat survivability; using several waveforms, even simultaneously, improves compatibility and enables operations on different levels and missions.
- The Bittium TOUGH COMNODE fulfils the data transfer needs for mobile troops by functioning, for example, as a VoIP phone, an IP router, and an SHDSL repeater. Additionally, TOUGH COMNODE provides the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) server functionalities of the tactical voice network for commercial VoIP terminals and also enables the use of legacy Combat Net Radios (CNR) as part of the IP-based tactical communication system.
- Bittium TOUGH MOBILE is a secure and strong Android-based 4G LTE smartphone, combining the latest information security solutions and commercial device technologies. TOUGH MOBILE incorporates a hardware-based security platform, which enables strong device security as well as deep integration of both customers’ own and third party software security solutions. TOUGH MOBILE and the related Bittium SECURE SUITE back-end system is the first smartphone-based solution in the world to have received official Confidential level encryption product classification.
- The Bittium SECURE SUITE device management and encryption software product complements TOUGH MOBILE with a scalable set of new software services for reliable mobile device management, remote attestation and securing the network connections of the device. Together, the two components form a unique and reliable system for processing and transferring encrypted and classified material, and securing critical communications.
- Bittium SafeMove Analytics is an advanced monitoring and reporting module that helps organisations to monitor network connectivity and performance to improve productivity and user experience. The tool continuously gathers connectivity data, such as connectivity status, speed, throughput and bytes transferred, network type, and Wi-Fi network information. In addition, the new security features of the software can immediately report possible security deviations in the users’ mobile devices. This makes it possible to react to cyber threats without delays, e.g. by blocking the device which reported the deviation from the authority network during the investigation.