+49 2641 3703 – 0 +49 2641 3703 – 199 info@monch-group.com

DUBAI AIR SHOW: Boeing and Embraer Announce Defence Joint Venture

Partnership Will Focus on New Markets for C-390 MILLENNIUM

On 18 November in Dubai, Boeing and Embraer announced their joint venture to promote and develop new markets for the C-390 MILLENNIUM multi-mission airlift and air mobility aircraft will be called Boeing Embraer-Defense.

The organisation will only be operational after the joint venture receives regulatory approvals and meets closing conditions. “Boeing Embraer-Defense will build on our companies’ history of collaboration across commercial and defense aerospace to unlock significant value in the state-of-the-art C-390 MILLENNIUM as it enters service and leads the next generation of airlift and air mobility aircraft,” said Marc Allen, Boeing’s President of Embraer Partnership and Group Operations.

The MILLENNIUM is a tactical transport aircraft designed to set new standards in its category, while presenting the lowest life-cycle cost on the market. The aircraft brings airlift and air mobility into the jet age with increased mobility, rugged design, higher flexibility, state-of-the-art proven technology and easier, more efficient maintenance. It can perform a variety of missions, such as aerial refueling, cargo and troop transport, cargo and paratrooper airdrop, search and rescue, aerial firefighting and humanitarian missions. “The name of our joint venture represents the strong partnership between Embraer and Boeing that will strengthen the global competitiveness of this incredible aircraft and broaden the target markets, developing and generating greater value for the C-390 programme to offer the best for our future customers,” said Jackson Schneider, President and CEO, Embraer Defense & Security.

The C-390 MILLENNIUM received its civil certification from the Brazilian National Aviation Agency (ANAC) in 2018 and is now in full production. In August 2019, Portugal signed a contract to acquire five aircraft with deliveries slated for 2023. The Brazilian Air Force (FAB) received its first aircraft on September 4 and delivery of the second aircraft is scheduled for the fourth quarter.

Embraer will have 51% ownership of Boeing Embraer-Defense, with Boeing holding the remaining 49%. The C-390 MILLENNIUM partnership is one of two planned joint ventures between the companies. Boeing Brasil-Commercial will be a joint venture comprising the commercial aviation operations of Embraer, with 80% owned by Boeing and 20% by Embraer. Both joint ventures remain subject to regulatory approval and customary closing conditions. The companies expect their transaction to close in early 2020.

Related Posts

Publish date


Sign up to our newsletter and stay up to date.




Components / Systems


Defence Business

Homeland Security

International Security


Latin America (Spanish)



Training & Simulation


Special Forces



Contact Us

Contact Info

Mönch Verlagsgesellschaft mbH
Christine-Demmer-Straße 7
53474 Bad Neuenahr – Ahrweiler

+49 2641 3703 – 0

+49 2641 3703 - 199

Follow On