From Next-Generation Key Management to Brain Control Interfaces
‘Multi-domain’ and ‘multi-domain integration’ are destined to become the buzz-phrases of DSEI 2021, according to the portents lining up on the horizon. With MDI an avowed theme of much of the UK MoD’s overt presence at the show, industry is not backward at coming forward in this regard, either.
Ultra will use the event next month to display and discuss capabilities in support of ‘Five Eyes’ and other key allies as they seek to counter emerging global threats. Among these capabilities, the company will focus particularly on innovative multi-domain solutions.
In next-generation ASW, Ultra’s enhanced detection, classification and tracking systems enable customers to respond to the growing underwater threats of near-peer adversaries, whose sophistication and fleet size are both rapidly increasing:
- Advanced solutions across surface search radar, sonobuoys, compact ASW systems, and advanced active and passive torpedo detection systems;
- Unmanned delivery and monitoring systems, as well as increasingly sophisticated sensors with embedded analytics, to protect against the most advanced threats our customers face.
Enhanced intelligent solutions are a key element of the modern battlespace. They will improve detect to deploy in a rapidly evolving battlespace and allow execution of missions with fewer resources, especially in contested and high-risk A2AD arenas. Ultra is developing a suite of open architecture, modular capabilities to support autonomous operations across air, surface and underwater domains:
- Advanced communications capabilities to UAVs, USVs and airborne pods to support integrated battlespace missions;
- Intelligence solutions to supplement real-time situational awareness capabilities in a conjoined air and maritime software solution.
Secure cognitive networking and situational awareness figures high on Ultra’s agenda – its cognitive communication networks act intelligently to sense the environment and adapt communications methods on the fly, ensuring that decision advantage is never lost:
- Resilient tactical communication networks that can autonomously self-form and self-heal;
- Interoperable high-grade and certified cryptography capabilities – delivering secure communications from the cloud to the edge;
- Next-generation key management and remote key distribution solutions.
Decision advantage at the tactical edge – in which Ultra is developing novel human-machine interfaces to reduce cognitive overload, improve performance and reduce error – enabling operators to make faster, smarter decisions;
- The UltraLYNX smart hub delivers intelligent power and data management, as well as wearable computing at the tactical edge. It is able to integrate and use a range of soldier-borne devices to provide an enhanced operational capability;
- Brain Control Interface (BCI) technologies and specific training to both monitor and respond to an individual’s cognitive load in high-stress situations;
- BCIs to enable intuitive, hands-free control of any UltraLYNX-connected device (for example, the radio or even a drone);
- Other systems, such as gesture control and augmented reality, can also be rapidly integrated into the system.