UK Programmes, HX3, SKYRANGER – and More
Rheinmetall, and the joint venture company, Rheinmetall BAE Systems Land (RBSL), will use DSEI 2021 in London next week to showcase two of the programmes in which it is engaged to help the British armed forces enhance or upgrade their capabilities.
- BOXER MICV – Over 500 BOXERs in four variants are to be delivered with effect from 2023 – and production conducted primarily in the UK.
- CHALLENGER 3 – a total of 148 existing CHALLENGER 2 tanks are to be upgraded to the CHALLENGER 3 configuration, which includes a new turret, main armament and advanced ammunition. The vehicle will be a network-enabled main battle tank, combining maximum lethality with vastly improved survivability.
Other innovative programmes that will attract visitor attention during the event will include:
- The HX3 10×10 self-propelled howitzer – building on the highly-prized strengths and ‘family’ concept of its predecessor, addresses the likelihood that truck-based artillery systems will play an increasingly prominent role in the short- and mid-term future. The HX 10×10 on show features a highly protected cab and a fully automatic, remote-controlled artillery turret.
- The MISSION MASTER AUGV will be on display for the first time in Britain. Cargo and fire support variants of the unmanned system are already being evaluated under the British Army’s Robotic Platoon Vehicle programme.
- The SKYRANGER air defence system, featuring 30mm or 35mm cannon – or, indeed, other effectors – is designed to be mountable on wheeled or tracked platforms, such as BOXER or LYNX.
Rheinmetall’s extraordinarily wide range of expertise, experience, capability and solutions will be on display throughout the show, encompassing areas as diverse as networking and soldier systems, and ranging from ballistic and force protection to training and simulation.