30mm RWS for Light Vehicles
At AUSA 2021 in Washington, DC, next week, Rafael will highlight the capabilities of its newly-enhanced SAMSON 30mm Integrated RWS for light vehicles, designed to meet the threats of the modern battlefield.
The RWS features hostile fire detection capabilities and the ability to rapidly and effectively return fire via a fast, accurate slew-to-cue mechanism. It also includes a unified user interface for all subsystems, an inherent hatch for close situational awareness, and under-armour ammunition loading that increases lethality. These capabilities enable the SAMSON to turn light vehicle into powerful assets.
A key element of SAMSON’s lethality is integration of the SPIKE LR 1 & 2 multi-purpose guided missiles, and its full-collaboration TROPHY active protection system (APS), allowing it to provide unparalleled manoeuvrability, lethality, and survivability. SAMSON is a sibling of Rafael’s MCWS, which was a key element of Oshkosh Defense’s winning proposal to up-gun the US Army’s STRYKERs.
Other systems and solutions on show during USA will include:
- SPIKE: the family of 5th-generation, multi-purpose, EO-guided missile systems that provide pinpoint accuracy on land, at sea, and in the air. SPIKE SR, a lightweight (10 kg), shoulder-fired munition, with an enhanced range of 20,00m, increasing lethality at squad level, is one of many SPIKE variants on display;
- Air Defence: As the developer of IRON DOME, Rafael offers a full range of multi-layered solutions for effective defence against UAS, rockets, artillery, mortars, cruise missiles, and more – on display will be:
- IRON DOME (SKY-HUNTER) – with over 2,500 combat interceptions, at a success rate of 90%, IRON DOME’s success speaks for itself; the system is the world’s only multi-mission system to provide a combat-proven defence against cruise missiles, PGMs, rockets, artillery, and mortars (C-RAM), aircraft, helicopters, and UAS;
- DAVID’S SLING (SKY-CEPTOR) – considered the world’s most revolutionary innovation in interceptor systems, the DAVID’s SLING weapon system (DSWS) is an air defence system designed to intercept medium-range missiles, offering an affordable, lethal hit-to-kill solution for a huge volume of asymmetric threats;
- DRONE DOME – an end-to-end, combat-proven counter-UAS providing all-weather, 360° rapid defence against hostile drones, detecting even small targets at distances over 3.5km, intercepting and neutralizing them with soft- and hard-kill measures, while ensuring maximum safety to friendly aircraft;
- FIRE WEAVER – a networked system connecting all battlefield elements in real time, FIRE WEAVER instantly selects the most relevant effector for every acquired target. It simultaneously handles multiple targets using AI and data fusion, enabling operators to receive and share battlefield data via augmented reality icons on their weapon sights, creating a common situational awareness picture;
- SKYSPOTTER – a passive EO early warning system with a high probability of detection and a very low false alarm rate, SKYSPOTTER enhances the capability of air defense radar detection systems. It will be showcased through a simulator at AUSA.
Below is a brief video highlighting the features of the new SAMSON RCWS.