Air, Land and Sea Solutions on Offer, with Technology Transfer and Assistance
Saab’s offerings at Aero India 2019 will not be restricted to the air domain but will cover land- and sea-based systems also.
Saab continues to team up with India for its defence and security needs and the development of a world-class Indian defence industry. Saab’s advanced technology and innovative thinking can deliver the best solutions to India for strong national defence and an independent industrial future.
“Saab brings ready-for-tomorrow defence and security solutions that are always customised to the needs of India’s armed forces. We have a long relationship with the Indian Air Force, HAL and many other public and private sector entities involved in aerospace for India. At Aero India 2019 we showcase our latest technologies that are transforming defence and security planning, military deployment, defence economics and future force readiness,” commented Chairman and Managing Director, Saab India Technologies, Ola Rignell.
“Aero India 2019 comes as the Indian Air Force evaluates new fighters for its future airpower needs. We are displaying the GRIPEN E mission simulator, which clearly demonstrates how GRIPEN, the most advanced multi-role fighter aircraft in the world, maximises operational effect in the future battlespace. We are also proud to present a full scale GRIPEN E along with the game-changing METEOR and the precision attack TAURUS KEPD missiles,” added Saab’s Vice President, Industrial Partnerships, and Head of the GRIPEN India Campaign, Mats Palmberg.
Saab products and systems on display at Aero India 2019 will include:
• GRIPEN E and weapon systems: GRIPEN combines exceptional operational performance, highly advanced net-centric warfare capability, sensor fusion, unique beyond-visual-range capability and cost efficiency with true transfer of technology and a comprehensive industrial partnership;
• RBS 15 Mk3: the most modern surface-to surface missile system available, it excels across a wide range of scenarios, from anti-ship engagement in blue waters and littorals, to land attack missions;
• TAURUS KEPD: a platform-independent long-range precision attack missile that delivers an unparalleled combination of performance parameters, including long range and intelligent flight behaviour, advanced warhead and fuze technology, plus an extremely accurate and highly redundant guidance system for pin-point attacks;
• GRIPEN Maritime: GRIPEN M (Maritime) is a fully certified design for a carrier-capable version of the latest generation GRIPEN E that Saab is offering to the Indian Air Force. GRIPEN M is modified to launch from any carrier with either a catapult or ski-ramp assisted short take-off;
• Integrated Defensive Aids Suite (IDAS): a fully integrated warning system that includes radar warning (RWC), missile approach warning (MAWS) and laser warning sensors (LWS). In India, IDAS is integrated on the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) DHRUV and ready for the Light Attack Helicopter (LCH);
• Land Electronic Defence System (LEDS) 50 Mk 2: an integrated, modular, active protection system combining a laser warning system (LWS) and effector control, providing combat personnel with vital situational awareness on laser threats and manual or fully automatic responses against threats;
• Saab active electronically scanned array (AESA) fighter radar: the gallium nitride (GaN)-based next-generation radars are on contract and in production for a variety of users. The new AESA fighter radar is a further example of the leap-ahead technology that is a truly unique achievement and a defining component of future air power capabilities;
• The multi-role GlobalEye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft with the Erieye-ER radar automatically detects and tracks air and surface targets over a huge area, and can reliably track very low-observable air and sea targets, including ‘stealthy’ aircraft, cruise missiles or submarine periscopes, even in heavy clutter and jamming environments;
• GIRAFFE 1X is a multi-purpose, lightweight 3D AESA radar system solution in the X-band, with the best performance in its class. GIRAFFE 1X is characterised by low weight and small physical footprint, allowing for integration on almost any vehicle without affecting mobility or agility;
• Ground combat systems, including the CARL GUSTAF M4, a man-portable, multi-role weapon system that provides high tactical flexibility through a wide range of ammunition types. It is extremely light (less than 7 kg), and has an intelligent sight, improved ergonomics and reduced action time. Meanwhile, the disposable AT4 system has been enhanced to deliver extended range (ER) performance and improved high explosive (HE) effects;
• Signature management systems: Saab’s portfolio includes the BARRACUDA Mobile Camouflage System, a tailor-made, multi-spectral (visual, near IR, short wave IR, thermal IR and radar from 1-100 GHz), multi-purpose system for mobile fighting platforms that enhances survivability and sustainability in the battlefield. Also on offer are various multi-spectral camouflage nets (MSCN), including the advanced reversible camouflage screen (ARCAS) and C-90 Net, designed to protect all kinds of vehicles and other static military equipment;
• Digital Tower Management Solutions: remote tower solutions provide a smarter approach to air traffic control by digitising and integrating airport functions. Whether the airport is an international hub, a small regional airport or a brand-new facility, Saab offers effective solutions that improve safety and operational efficiency.